Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Winter is long, days are gray but things are good!




This is Semlor, baked bread that Swedes make early Spring. 

Earlier I think I said something about winter being behind us.  This is definitely false.  This week winter came back in full force making spring look quite a ways away.  It snowed 3 days straight over this last week and everything is iced over.  Snow is actually very good and comforting during winter because it lightens everything up.  Because of its color it makes the days look so much brighter then when there is no snow.  So even on a cloudy day it looks sunny when there is snow on the ground.  With the renewal of winter I have caught a bit of a fever.  It is hard working and being sick at the same time, but when it seems its worst I just think to myself, "imagine how bad it would be if you didn't have the blessings from serving others".  
   Right now the most frustrating thing about the work is people not reading the Book of Mormon.  One of our Investigators is reading a book on the Book of Mormon but he does not want to read the Book of Mormon.  Those who do find answers to prayers and peace while they read.  Reading the Book of Mormon seems to intimidate some people.  I feel like in a lot of these situations they have a deeper concern with it that they just don't want to share with us.  We cant teach as well as the Book of Mormon and there is nothing on the Internet or printed elsewhere that will give you a more unbiased opinion of the Book of Mormon then the Book of Mormon.  It is the one book which in its Introduction and it's concluding pages guarantees you revelation from our Heavenly Father just by simply asking him about it.
   Yesterday my fever was at its height and I really did not feel well.  Through church I was trying to stay active and engaged but its hard when one has so little energy and is sick, then it gets harder when the whole day is in Swedish.  I ached all over and just walking around town wasn't fun.  I also was prone to getting quite cold.  After Church Ståle was going to be ordained a priest.  When I went in for the ordinance he asked me to perform it.  I felt out of it and was sure I couldn't in Swedish as it is a lot of speaking.  I accepted because that is an opportunity to serve and to utilize my Priesthood which we must never be afraid to use to serve others because then we fail those same responsibilities. I ordained Ståle to be a Priest in the Aaronic Priesthood, and through the whole thing felt not a single doubt, ache, cough, or runny nose.  I even felt warm.  The spirit was there and he directed my words, in Swedish.  I am proud of Ståle for his trust in me when I didn't know if I could trust myself, even without the fever I had only been in Sweden for a month and my Swedish is not perfect.  
   From being sick and even from having a bit of a slower week a scripture that has greatly helped me is 2 Nephi 10:17. "For I will fulfil my promises which I have made unto the children of men, that I will do unto them while they are in the flesh--". What I love about the gospel is we don't just promise salvation, and living with your Father above and earthly family (which all are quite significant individually). We promise happiness in this life, to all of those willing to partake in it. Yes some blessings must wait until the next life. But not all, and not enough to make this life miserable. Some people seem to have that thought on life and on many things.  We should always look for happiness in all that we do.
   This next week is Swedish week for the missionaries, we are going to be speaking Swedish to each other 24/7.  The only time we speak English is with Investigators that do not speak Swedish and writing letters.  It should help me improve my Swedish quite a bit.  
med karlek,
   Äldste Moe

No comments:

Post a Comment