Thursday, November 15, 2012

Hurricane Sandy back home in NY

So, being in the MTC during Hurricane Sandy was terrifying and really brought to light the nature of the MTC.  I have no idea what is going on in the outside world, and this is very good because it limits distractions but when we hear of something going on and don't know how events are unfolding its kind of nerve-wracking.  It was good hearing from my family every day and from the pictures I saw it looks like the city might take a while to recuperate.  I'm glad to hear that deaths caused from Sandy weren't a huge amount but I'm so sad for all those that lost loved ones.  I just can't believe the city is going through this terrible disaster and I feel so isolated from what's happening.  I understand the reason for this but I pray for all those people that are suffering.
    So, Halloween at the MTC was cool, not many people dressed up but the sisters in my district all wore the Avenger's color's.  It blew my mind and made me so happy.  They're all pretty cool.  I wore my Iron man light under my white shirt but just for breakfast and to take pictures with all the Sister Avengers.  
   This week I taught with a Norwegian teacher, it was cool being able to plan and study together in the language and understand what the other is saying.  I went in nervous because I would be speaking a language, I've only known for a month, with someone speaking a different language to someone who will speak only Swedish and no English.  It is crazy that we were able to bring our message across so clearly.  The spirit really does guide.  When you open your mouth not knowing what is coming out as long as you have faith it will be the right thing.  Not only that but it will be in the right language.  This last Tuesday we had Elder Clarke come and talk with us for devotional.  He talked about being a successful missionary.  He spoke a lot about building relationships and on how you cant bring sheep into the fold or even know they're missing unless you know them.  He talked about how its important to build trust between the Bishop and yourself because that is how you gain his trust when working with non-members.  
    I am so excited to be here right at the beginning of the wave of missionaries that is soon to come.  It's crazy once you realize the scope and importance of the work we're all a part of, it makes me wonder what my role could possibly be.  But I know that if I work hard and press on with faith the Lord can cause many great things to happen with my hands.  I am excited for that and strive daily for the Holy Ghost's presence and teaching ability.  Teaching and learning here is amazing but it only gets me more excited for the field.  I can't wait for Sweden.
Love,
Aldste Moe

No comments:

Post a Comment